Administrative Measures Governing Scholarship Program for International Students at Harbin Institute of Technology, Shenzhen
The Scholarship Program for International Students at Harbin Institute of Technology, Shenzhen (hereinafter referred to as the “HITSZ Scholarship”) is established to attract more outstanding international students to study any degree program at our University, as well as encouraging such international students to remain academically productive, positive, and progressive. These administrative measures are formulated for the purposes of regulating the management of the HITSZ Scholarship.
I. Scholarship Class
First-class: 100% waiver of tuition fee;
Second-class: 50% waiver of tuition fee;
Third-class: 20% waiver of tuition fee.
II. Scholarship Application and Process
(I) Applicant’s Eligibility
Any self-financed international student who submits their new application for a degree program at our University; and any self-financed international student who is a sophomore without any prior scholarships at our University.
(II) Application Process
1. In case of a self-financed international student who submits their new application for a degree program at our University:
（1）The applicant must fill in and submit the Application Form for the HITSZ Scholarship (see Attachment 1) along with the admission application materials to the International Office;
（2）The International Office will review the admission qualifications of such applicant;
（3）The International Office will forward the approved materials to the relevant school;
（4）The relevant school will provide its opinion of admission and rate the scholarship level;
（5） The International Office will re-examine and determine the scholarship of such applicant;
（6）The International Office will inform the applicant of the admission status and the results of the scholarship application.
2. In case of a self-financed international student who is a sophomore without any prior scholarships at our University, the application process shall proceed in accordance with the section headed “III. Administrative Rules Governing Scholarship Program”.
III. Administrative Rules Governing Scholarship Program
The HITSZ Scholarship is subject to annual review, under which, the comprehensive performance of students will be subject to annual review by the end of each academic year, including whether such students may be granted the scholarship or continue to be entitled to such scholarship and its level.
(I) Review Target
Any international student who is a sophomore or above with the HITSZ Scholarship or any self-financed international student who is a sophomore without any prior scholarships at our University will be subject to review, whereby he/she shall pay various due fees on time and remain within the prescribed academic term without violating any school rules and regulations during the academic term (in which case, the prescribed academic term is set for 4 years, 2.5 years, and 4 years for undergraduate, postgraduate, and PhD students, respectively).
(II) Review Process
1. The International Office will issue a notice to all relevant schools, who will relay such notice to the international student;
2. The applicant shall fill in and submit the Annual Review of the HITSZ Scholarship Status (see Attachment 2) along with such supporting documents as his/her transcript to the appropriate school;
3. The school will perform a review over the performance, attendance records, comprehensive performance, and other factors of the applicant after examining, collecting, and consolidating the review materials, and such review materials and results will be reported to the International Office.
4. Upon re-examination, the International Office will report to the relevant university leaders for approval and relay the approval results to the appropriate school;
5. The school will notify the applicant of the review results;
6. The school will submit to the International Office the Notice of HITSZ Scholarship Review Results signed and confirmed by the student as a record for future inspection.
(III) Annual Review Schedule
1. At the beginning of the autumn term, undergraduate, postgraduate, and PhD students admitted for the autumn term will be subject to annual review of the scholarship;
2. At the beginning of the spring term, PhD students admitted for the spring term will be subject to the annual review of the scholarship.
IV. Annual Review Standards
The review standards cover the following four aspects:
(I) Attendance record: The annual attendance rate shall not be less than 80%;
(II) Academic examinations or appraisal performance: no Grade D or below or absence from examination/appraisal is recorded, and the following requirements are also met:
1. In case of the first-class scholarship: A-rated courses must remain 60% or above of the total courses;
2. In case of the second-class scholarship: B-rated or above courses must remain 60% of above of the total courses, amongst which, A-rated courses must remain above 30% of the total courses;
3. In case of the third-class scholarship: B-rated or above courses must remain 60% or above of the total courses.
(III) Academic appraisal for PhD and postgraduate students includes subject research, dissertation proposal, and mid-term report on subject status or completion status.
(IV) Comprehensive performance: whether such review target abides by the rules and laws, stays positive and progressive, shows due respect to lecturers and elders, unites with classmates, has a sense of collectivism, and participates in school /university events.
(I) Those with a University-approved leave of absence due to sickness may retain their eligibility for the scholarship for a maximum of one (1) year;
(II) Those with a leave of absence from school or education interruption that is caused by personal reasons will automatically be disqualified for the upcoming scholarship;
(III) In case that any student is entitled to scholarship programs backed by the P.R.C government, or other similar scholarship programs sponsored by other governments or organizations, he or she in principle will not be entitled to the HITSZ Scholarship. In case of students who receive support from the Shenzhen Universiade International Scholarship Foundation, our University will offer the following package in response to his/her support:
1. Scholarship will be granted in twice. HITSZ makes the first grant after receiving the money from Shenzhen Universiade International Scholarship Foundation. The second grant will be paid during the second half of each academic year.
2. Grantees are required to collect the certificates in person and submit copies of bank card for receiving the scholarship.
3. According to the regulation of Shenzhen Universiade International Scholarship Foundation, grantees are required to submit 2 study reports each academic year, or they will lose the opportunity to apply for such scholarship in the future. Grantees should submit one study report with signature to International Office when each academic semester ends.
Reward Limit under the Shenzhen Universiade International Scholarship Foundation
Living allowance schedule
Accommodation allowance: 5,000 X 2 terms
Accommodation allowance: 5,000 X 2 terms
Accommodation allowance: 6,000 X 2 terms
Living allowance: 7,500 X 2 terms
Accommodation allowance: 2,500 X 2 terms
(VI) These measures, interpretation of which shall be subject to the International Office, will take effect from the date of release.
The International Office, HITSZ